Could use some advice on selecting I-Pi SMARC IMX8M Plus board.

• Hi,

For our full-motion simulator project we need a powerfull processor board to do some main control plus head/body tracking and multi channel 3D audio rendering.

We think the I-Pi SMARC IMX8M Plus is perfect for that. But to be sure we have some questions about it. I hope you people can help so that we can make the right decission.

We want low level (bare metal) access to the pheripherals (gpio, I2C and I2S). We do not want to use the Linux way of access through the /dev structure. Is that possible? Can we access all peripherals using the M-core using a HAL layer?
    (is Linux mandatory?)

We need some CPU cores for special processing. On Ubuntu 20.04 it is possible to isolate a core from Ubuntu and use it for your own processes. Is that possible with the OS in this board too?

Can we use two (or more) USB (UVC compliant) cameras on this system? We can not use the MIPI because of the distance between board and cameras.

On the IO-headers, are the pins available for:
    - I2S based audio (we need 16 channels output)
    - the 4 signals for the 8 PMD microphones
    so that we can connect our own hardware to this.

How can we program the audio DSP? Are there special dev tools available for that?

Any info and advice on this is welcome! Thx.

• Hello Cor, 

the 8M plus SOC is well able to handle all the tasks you list, but not in it's SMARC version.

We go down to carrier with a single i2s, and connect to a fairly simple Wolfson WM890 audio codec that outputs 2 channel audio which is a very nice solution in 99% of the cases,  you need way more than this.

If you don't mind I would like to contact you via email to see if we can bring a solution up that matches your expectations.