Ubuntu setup issues

• I am trying to setup my I-Pi for a robotics projet and am running into issues all over the place. Hopefully you guys can suggest some options for me to continue to use this board otherwise I will just switch back to a standard Pi.

First when I setup the device with the factory Ubuntu image provided apt update fails with the following error:

E: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/focal-security/main/binary-arm64/Packages  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.39 80]

I am also trying to setup a joystick as an input device but cant figure out how to enable it. (I.E. I cant see the device under /dev/input/js0)

I've tried installing several packages but none of them make the device availble

-- sudo apt install joystick, jstest-gtk, xboxdrv

If I run lsusb I can see the device.

-- Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:c21f Logitech, Inc. F710 Wireless Gamepad [XInput Mode]

I then tried to install xpad from source but that fails because I dont have the linux headers installed.

$ sudo dkms install -m xpad -v 0.4

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/xpad/0.4/source ->
                     /usr/src/xpad-0.4

DKMS: add completed.
    Error! Your kernel headers for kernel 5.4.70-2.3.0+g4f2631b022d8 cannot be found.
    Please install the linux-headers-5.4.70-2.3.0+g4f2631b022d8 package,
    or use the --kernelsourcedir option to tell DKMS where it's located

So after that I tried to insall the headers with

-- sudo apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

But that fails with the following error

E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-5.4.70-2.3.0+g4f2631b022d8
    E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-headers-5.4.70-2.3.0+g4f2631b022d8'

I then tried one last attempt with

-- sudo apt install linux-generic

But this fails when installing flash kernel:

dpkg: error processing package flash-kernel (--configure):
     installed flash-kernel package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
    Processing triggers for linux-image-5.4.0-91-generic (5.4.0-91.102) ...
    /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools:
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-91-generic
    Warning: root device  does not exist
    flash-kernel: deferring update (trigger activated)
    /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-flash-kernel:
    flash-kernel: deferring update (trigger activated)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     flash-kernel
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

After some more reasearch and it seems like this might need to be compiled as part of the default configuration when you build the Ubuntu Image with the option CONFIG_JOYSTICK_XPAD. Anyone have suggestions on how I can get this rebuilt into the kernel or how to install the linux-headers?

• If I want to factory reset my device with a fresh image of Ubuntu is there an easy way to force the board to boot the e-mmc as an SD card over the micro-usb port?

• Yes you can boot from eMMc. Here is the link.

• Marq, 

This is a yocto kernel running, I need to ask our SW guys for the kernel headers

We have now the IMX8M plus certified as SystemReady which would allow you to deploy generic Linux images ( Ubuntu/Debian.. .etc) I will try to get this online, lets work from this on.

• Marq, 

For the apt issue, please try below 

1. Try to recreate the apt
      # sudo apt-get clean
      # sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/*
      # sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/*
      # sudo apt-get update,
      or remove the failed entry from apt source list
      # vi /etc/apt/sources.list

• Hey guys, so sorry for just disapearing. January was a busy month!

I ended up pivoting on my project and got ROS2 Foxy installed and then networked my laptop to send the I-PI twist messages and converted those to CAN and was able to take over the factory communication bus of my wheel chair (so now my base can run the ROS Nav stack).