How to install Debian GNU/Linux?

• I've tried to install Debian GNU/Linux 12.2.0 on the Ampere Altra Dev Kit I got today.

However, for me each installation attempt fails when the installer tries to install grub (i.e. just ebfore the final reboot):

"Unable to install GRUB in dummy
    Executing 'grub-install dummy' failed.
    This is a fatal error."

I've tried various partitioning schemes, including just using the default whole disk one.

• I've even tried installing grub manually: After the failed grub install, open a shell, do:

chroot /target

grub-install /dev/nvme0n1

grub-update

I did not get any error messages, but the BIOS on the AADK stil won't boot from the NVMe.

• It seems that the efivarfs of AADK is not writeable in OS. I also dont't know why. My solution is just `umount efivarfs` before installation.(you can do that on a "try Ubuntu or Debian" environment. ) And then you can successfully do a  normal installation now. Usually after the installation you can boot normally. if the UEFI do not recognize the new boot entry, you can add it manually(Manully select and add the grubaa64.efi) on the Boot Maintenance Manager page in BIOS.

• That indeed works for me, but only if I do not encrypt the root filesystem - otherwise the kernel hangs on boot. Anyway, I got my AADK now running Debian GNU/LInux. Hope it survives future grub updates.